Stamford Hospital Surgery Overview
Extraordinary people. Superb care.
Excellence is our standard of care at the Department of Surgery. High-quality surgical care requires attention to detail from our entire surgical team and medical staff. This expectation is what makes our patient experience what it is today, as is ingrained in our Planetree philosophy.
Improved Surgical Suites & Procedures
In the new Stamford Hospital, our surgical suites are 50% larger, increasing the amount of space available to accommodate multi-disciplinary teams. A new workflow allows all inpatient surgical procedures to take place on one, centralized floor to alleviate disruptive patient transportation and consolidate staff members to a centralized location.
- A total of 10 procedural areas: 8 rooms with potential for expansion, and 2 special procedure rooms outside the OR suites.
- All surgical rooms include green light capabilities which reduce the amount of shadows for overall better visualization of detail. Laser-focused lighting is efficient and environmentally compatible, measuring distance to the wound area. Other related highlights include:
- 1 hybrid operating room dedicated to complex vascular and radiological procedures.
- 2 specialized integrated neurosurgical and spine rooms, both equipped with the technology needed for complex cases and robotic procedures, plus an integrated cardiac surgical suite.
- PACU recovery area with 19 bays (patient beds) and a dedicated pre-op area with 15 individual patient rooms for intake and education before and after surgery.
Multiple Surgical Specialties
In many cases, surgery can be complex and specific. We have many specialties in which our surgeons are skilled and trained. In each case, the complete goal is to deliver compassionate care in a safe and exceptional environment.
Level II Trauma Center Designation
Stamford Hospital is a Level II Trauma Center designated by the Office of Emergency Medicine of the State of Connecticut and verified by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) to care for those who have suffered trauma. We have three fellowship-trained Trauma and Critical Care surgeons, and are the regional leader for outreach, injury prevention, education, and research.
Surgical Residency Program
Our surgical team attracts the brightest young doctors who will one day become excellent clinical surgeons. Our goal is to help them develop a broad range of knowledge in areas such as quality, safety, and team approaches to healthcare delivery.
We know and appreciate that everyone’s experience is unique. Surgery isn’t a “one size fits all” concept. Many more options are available in the way of treatment now more than ever. That’s why we take a collaborative approach to your care in close partnership with our dedicated anesthesiologists . Together, we promise to meet your unique needs with a comprehensive team of physicians, nurses, oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, and the rest of our caregiving community.
Minimally Invasive Options
Whenever possible, we use minimally invasive surgery as a first choice across a wide range of procedures. This type of surgery accomplishes the same success rate, but with little to no risk of injury. Some major advantages to you include less pain, less blood loss, faster recovery, more favorable cosmetic results, and a quicker return to normal daily activities.