Stamford Health's Breast Center
At the Breast Center, we look at breast health differently, considering not only your clinical needs but your emotional ones. We’ll help you know your risk and give you better options to find breast cancer early, using innovative technology and approaches. Three-dimensional mammography means better detection and fewer callbacks because we commit to same-day screening results whenever possible. We are a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, designated by the American College of Radiology. Our leadership includes:
- David Gruen, MD, MBA, Director of Women’s Imaging & Co-Director, Breast Center, is an expert in high-risk breast cancer detection, breast ultrasound and MRI, and minimally invasive, image-guided breast procedures. He contributed to the American College of Radiology’s national guidelines for breast cancer detection and serves on the ACR Breast Imaging Economics Commission.
- Helen Pass, MD, Director of Breast Surgery and Co-Director, Breast Center, completed fellowship training in surgical oncology at the National Institutes of Health. She is a past president of the American Society of Breast Surgery, and serves as a Governor of the American College of Surgeons.
Talk To Us
We want to hear from you! If you have questions or wish to schedule a mammogram, call 203.276.PINK (7465).
What makes Stamford Health's Breast Center unique?
At the Breast Center, we treat each woman as if she were our own mother, sister or daughter. And we sincerely believe that you shouldn’t have to choose between expertise and compassion, convenience and clinical excellence, or comfort and state-of-the-art technology, so from routine mammograms to mastectomies, we provide all of the above to monitor your breast health. We help you:
- Understand whether you are at average, moderate or high risk for breast cancer or breast cancer symptoms
- Tailor your screenings to your specific needs, all while fitting them in to your busy schedule with early morning, evening, and weekend availability
- Weigh your options if breast cancer is detected
- Receive excellent treatment at the renowned Bennett Cancer Center and mind, body, spirit support from the Center for Integrative Medicine & Wellness
- Allay any stress with real-time results for mammography and all regular-hour appointments (Monday-Friday from 8 AM to 4 PM) and next business-day results via phone for all other procedures
Our following state-of–the-art technology helps us invest in your health:
- Breast MRI with the highest resolution images available in Fairfield County
- Digital Breast tomosynthesis (3D) mammography. We were the first in the region to offer this to all women.
- Advanced computer-assisted detection software
- High Resolution 3D ultrasound
- Equipment and technology to perform the most complex minimally invasive biopsies
A collaborative approach to your care
We are the only center in the region that also provides a weekly multidisciplinary conference to review not just breast cancers, but all breast biopsies, with radiology, surgery and pathology in attendance, in order to ensure the most accurate breast care.
At our weekly multidisciplinary cancer conference, we discuss and decide upon the best treatment for every patient. Our highly credentialed team members include:
Breast nurse navigators
We offer a comprehensive breast navigator service with two Nurse Navigators experienced in breast imaging and breast oncology. They help you through the healthcare system and educate the community about the importance of breast cancer screening and early detection, which helps save lives. You'll have a constant, familiar face and voice that will:
- Connect you with resources and support systems
- Support your communication with healthcare staff and providers
- Streamline appointments and paperwork
- Help to identify and access financial services to pay for your healthcare needs
- Provide support and answer any questions to decrease fear and anxiety
- Identify and access appropriate social services
- Track all your treatments and results
Our breast navigator team consists of Michele Speer, Imaging (203.276.4910), Betsy Rice, Oncology (203.276.2374) and Carol Baird, High Risk (475.529.6685).