Request a referral for surgical oncology.
Contact us or call 203.276.2410 and someone from our team will follow up with you to assist.
Every cancer is different, which means every treatment plan is unique. Your doctor may have referred you to a surgical oncologist to talk about how surgery might be able to help treat your cancer.
Stamford Health’s Director of Surgical Oncology, Dr. Antonio Picon, has extensive experience in general and complex surgery for a variety of benign and malignant tumors with a special focus on cancers of the gastrointestinal tract as well as the liver, pancreas and bile ducts.
When you meet with him, he will talk to you about your options and recommend the best course of treatment, personalized for you. Whenever possible, Dr. Picon will recommend a minimally invasive or robotic approach for a quicker and easier recovery. The end goal is always the highest level of care that best fits your lifestyle.
Why Choose Us
Because we believe collaboration makes a difference in your experience, we work together with a team of experts right at the Carl & Dorothy Bennett Cancer Center, all with you in mind. Throughout your treatment with us, you may meet with:
- Radiologists: Doctors that specialize in diagnosis and treatment using medical imaging procedures.
- Medical Oncologists: Doctors that treat cancer and serve as your main cancer care provider.
- Radiation Oncologists: A doctor that treats cancer using radiation therapy and manages your treatment plan.
- Genetic Counselors: Professionals experienced in helping you learn how genetic information might affect you or your family.
- Social Workers: Provide support to you, your loved ones and caregivers who are facing a cancer diagnosis.
- Nurse Navigators: Guide you and your loved ones through the entire process, from diagnosis through treatment and beyond.
- Nutritionists: Registered dietitians that work with you and your medical team to manage your diet during cancer treatment.
Access to world-class resources:
During your course of treatment, you may benefit from the Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Care Collaborative at Stamford Health. Oncologists at the Bennett Cancer Center consult frequently with medical specialists at Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center to bring the best minds in cancer together for you. This means access to even more expert opinions, clinical trials and treatment options.
Weekly tumor board conferences to address your specific treatment:
Rely on the expert opinion of your oncology care team who meets weekly to review and discuss each unique case. The goal is to agree upon the best possible treatment plan for you, as a group.
High-quality clinical trials available to you:
The Surgical Oncology team works alongside of physicians and researchers to uncover the latest treatments that work best for you. Clinical trials can lead to new treatment opportunities and a better quality of life during your fight against cancer.
Types of Cancer Surgeries We Offer
- Removal of benign and malignant soft tissue tumors.
- Robotic and laparoscopic surgery to remove intra-abdominal tumors. Procedures include colon resection and resection of rectal tumors, small bowel resection, gastrectomy, pancreatectomy, Whipple procedure, and liver resection.
- Removal of skin cancers such as Merkel cell carcinoma and melanoma and sentinel lymph node biopsy.
Meet Our Director of Surgical Oncology
Dr. Picon is committed to delivering outstanding care across the entire spectrum of surgical oncology. Learn more about Dr. Picon