The highest quality care for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of vascular disease.
Talk to Us
We’re here to help. If you have questions or need assistance, call 203.276.4400.
We understand the pain and worry that come with having vascular disease, an abnormal condition of the arteries and veins. That’s why at the Heart and Vascular Institute (HVI) we’re committed to providing the very best approaches to diagnosing and treating vascular problems such as peripheral artery disease, carotid artery disease, deep vein thrombosis and varicose veins in an atmosphere of compassionate, patient-centered care.
Our fellowship-trained, board certified vascular surgeons have the highest level of expertise in traditional vascular surgery techniques as well as the latest innovations in minimally invasive endovascular treatments - treatments that involve little or no incisions and can usually be performed as same-day procedures. We are proud to be the regional leaders in:
- Endovascular repair of aortic aneurysms
- Treatment of varicose veins
Why Choose Us
Our vascular surgeons take a multidisciplinary team approach to your care, working in concert with HVI cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, interventional radiologists and supportive medical staff to optimize your individual needs.
- Your primary care physician and cardiologist are integral members of this team, thereby ensuring your seamless, coordinated care.
Our vascular surgeons work alongside other HVI cardiac specialists in a new Hybrid OR that is designed specifically to enable a multidisciplinary team of heart specialists – cardiac surgeons, vascular surgeons, interventional cardiologists and radiologists - to provide diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to a patient in the same room at the same time, thereby improving our efficiency and patient outcomes. The room has leading-edge radiological imaging combined with safety and resources of an operating room.
- Our vascular surgeons closely collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of heart specialists at Stamford Health’s Structural Heart Disease (SHD) Center and Valve Clinic, which is affiliated with Columbia/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital to provide comprehensive screening, evaluation and life-saving treatment to patients with structural heart and valve disease.
Treatments We Provide
The cornerstones of our Vascular Surgery department are paramount surgical skills, state-of-the-art technology and a team approach to patient care. We’re proud to offer the following innovative treatments:
- Aortic aneurism repair: Surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm (a weakened area in the aorta).
- Carotid artery stenting (CAS): A minimally invasive procedure in which a stent (an expandable tube) is permanently inserted into the carotid artery.
- Carotid endarterectomy: Surgery to remove fatty deposits that are blocking the carotid artery.
- Catheter-directed atherectomy: A minimally invasive procedure that uses a catheter to remove plaque from a blocked artery.
- Drug-eluting balloon angioplasty: A minimally invasive procedure in which a drug-coated balloon is used to re-open arteries.
- Drug-eluting stenting: A minimally invasive procedure in which a drug-coated stent is inserted into the artery in order to prevent scar tissue from forming in the artery, which may lower the need to undergo a second procedure to open the artery again.
- EKOS and AngioJet™ for deep vein thrombosis: A minimally invasive procedure to remove blood clots (blockages) in order to restore blood flow to the deep veins.
- Fistula creation and thrombectomy: A procedure to create a port (access) for hemodialysis.
- Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS): A minimally invasive procedure to provide a real-time view of the inside of a coronary artery to allow for precise placement of a stent.
- Leg bypass arterial revascularization: Surgery to circumvent an area of blockage and restore direct blood flow to the lower leg and foot.
- Percutaneous endovascular aortic repair (PEVAR): A minimally invasive procedure to repair an aortic aneurism.
- Renal and mesenteric revascularization: Surgery to repair the narrowing or blockage of the renal artery (which supplies blood to the kidneys) and the mesenteric arteries (one or more of the three major arteries that supply the small and large intestines).
- VenaCure EVLT™: Targeted laser treatment for varicose veins.