If you’re reading this, you or a loved one might be facing the risk for or a diagnosis of breast cancer. You may be asking yourself, “Where do I go to get care for my specific situation?” At Stamford Health’s Breast Center, it’s all about individualized care to keep you informed every step of the way, from screening and diagnosis, to treatment and survivorship. Here are the unique offerings that set us apart.
Book A Mammogram, or Walk In
Get Same-Day Results During Business Hours
Call 203.276.PINK (7465)
Tully Health Center
Sat & Sun: 8am-4pm
Darien Imaging Center
Tue & Thur: 8am-8pm
Wilton Imaging Center
1. Our Team
- David Gruen, MD, MBA, FACR, Director of Women’s Imaging & Co-Director, Breast Center, is an expert in high-risk breast cancer detection, breast ultrasound and MRI, and minimally invasive image-guided breast procedures. He contributed to the American College of Radiology’s national guidelines for breast cancer detection, serves on the ACR Breast Imaging Economics Commission and is the first radiologist in the country to serve as an inspector for the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
- Helen Pass, MD, FACS, Director of Breast Surgery and Co-Director, Breast Center, completed fellowship training in surgical oncology at the National Institutes of Health. She is a past president of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, and serves as a Governor of the American College of Surgeons. A nationally regarded expert in breast surgery, Dr. Pass annually instructs breast surgeons from around the world on the most current breast surgical treatments, including skin and nipple sparing breast surgery and oncoplastic techniques.
- Breast Nurse Navigators: We offer a comprehensive breast navigator service with two Nurse Navigators experienced in breast imaging and breast oncology. They help you through the healthcare system and educate the community about the importance of breast cancer screening and early detection. Our breast navigator team consists of Michele Speer, Imaging, and Betsy Rice, Oncology.
2. Our Services
We’ll help you know your risk and give you better options to find breast cancer early, using innovative technology and approaches. The Breast Center was among the first in the United States to use 3D Digital Breast Tomosynthesis (or 3D mammography) for all patients, to deliver the most accurate screening and diagnostic breast imaging. 3D mammography provides more accurate detection and fewer callbacks. When combined with same day results, the breast team at Stamford is a pioneer in doing all that is possible to alleviate the anxieties that can be associated with screening for breast cancer.
3. Our Multidisciplinary Approach
Your care doesn’t stop with your mammogram —we also strive to understand and support your emotional and spiritual needs. When and if you need them, we will connect you with the following members of our comprehensive team:
- For those recently diagnosed with breast cancer, the Bennett Cancer Center provides a variety of supportive care services as well as a survivorship program at no extra charge to you. You can reach the Supportive Services/Survivorship Program by calling 203.276.2273 (CARE).
- The Center for Integrative Medicine and Wellness offers an evidence-based approach to healing using mind-body therapies. Depending on your lifestyle and unique set of needs, your physician-administered treatment plan may include image-guided therapy, physician-administered acupuncture, nutritional counseling, botanical and supplement consulting and more. Many patients report feeling more relaxed both before and after surgery. You can reach the Center for Integrative Medicine and Wellness at 203-276-4777. Most major insurance are accepted.
- If you feel comfortable incorporating some exercise into your lifestyle, we’ll introduce you to some medically supervised fitness options at our Health & Fitness Institute. Feel free to reach our team at 203.276.4567 to inquire about memberships, pricing and programs.
4. Your Self Confidence
We recognize the devastation that can come with chemotherapy related hair loss. The FDA has recently approved the DigniCap® scalp cooling system, created to help prevent hair loss for women undergoing certain chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer. We are proud to provide this service at Stamford Health for those interested. Please note that at this time, there are out of pocket costs to use DigniCap as it is not covered by insurance.
If you haven’t already scheduled your yearly mammogram, discover the 10 reasons to get screened annually.
Featured Expert/ Author