Talk to Us
We’re here to help. If you have questions or need assistance, call 203.276.7076.
Offering the latest in leading edge, minimally invasive approaches to cardiac care.
These days, more heart procedures than ever before are being performed through minimally invasive approaches that reduce your risk of complications, speed recovery and allow you to return more quickly to your active life. At the Heart and Vascular Institute (HVI) our interventional cardiologists are distinguished for their patient-centered approach to the most sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic procedures that include coronary stenting, balloon angioplasty, and pacemaker insertion.
Our board-certified interventional cardiologists are never complacent in their endeavor to provide you with the highest level of quality care. They’re continually adopting emerging technologies and the latest techniques that will enhance your care and improve your outcome. A particular point of pride is the team’s excellent track record in treating patients who suffer severe heart attacks (ST elevation myocardial infarctions) with door-to-balloon times (the amount of time between a heart attack patient’s arrival at the hospital and lifesaving angioplasty treatment) that are 100% within the national benchmarks.
Why Choose Us
- We offer the latest leading-edge minimally invasive diagnostic procedures such as optical coherence tomography (OCT), intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) and PressureWire® fractional flow reserve monitoring.
- We also offer the most advanced minimally invasive treatments such as transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), in which the aortic valve is replaced without open surgery. One of the most common valve diseases afflicting our aging population is aortic valve stenosis, the narrowing of the aortic valve opening. If you have aortic valve stenosis and you were previously thought to be ineligible for corrective surgery due either to your advanced age, comorbidities or prior surgery, you may qualify for TAVR.
- We’re the only hospital in the state of Connecticut that provides pulmonary artery pressure monitoring by CardioMEMS™ for patients with severe heart failure.
- Our new Hybrid OR enables our multidisciplinary team of heart specialists – cardiac surgeons, vascular surgeons, interventional cardiologists and radiologists- to provide diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in the same room at the same time, thereby improving our efficiency and patient outcomes. The room has leading-edge radiological imaging combined with the safety and resources of an operating room.
- Our interventional cardiologists closely collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of heart specialists at Stamford Health’s Structural Heart Disease (SHD) Center and Valve Clinic, which is affiliated with Columbia/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital to provide comprehensive screening, evaluation and life-saving treatment to patients with structural heart and valve disease.
- Your exceptional, individualized care is provided in our state-of-the-art cardiac cath labs that are replete with special areas designed for comfort and privacy to enhance your healing.
The Interventional Cardiology team offers the following treatments:
- Balloon aortic valvuloplasty (BAV): A procedure that uses a balloon catheter to widen a narrowed heart valve to improve blood flow.
- Closure of patent foramen ovale (a congenital heart defect)
- Coronary artery stenting: The insertion of a stent (a tube-shaped device) to keep arteries open in the treatment of coronary heart disease.
- Emergency and elective angioplasty and stenting: Minimally invasive procedures to open the arteries that supply blood to the heart.
- Insertion of CardioMEMS™ Heart Failure Monitoring System: A miniaturized, wireless technology that monitors artery pressures and heart rates in patients with severe heart failure.
- Left atrial appendage closure: Treatment to reduce the risk of blood clots originating from the left atrial appendage from entering the bloodstream and causing stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation.
- Pacemaker and defibrillator implantation
- Peripheral angiogram and angioplasty: Procedures that uses X-rays and dye to identify a narrowed or blocked heart valve.
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR): An innovative minimally invasive procedure in which the aortic valve is replaced without open surgery.