What is cardiac rehabilitation?
Interested in Cardiac Rehabilitation?
We’re here to help. If you have questions or need assistance, call 203.276.2183.
We always love seeing our patients get back to the active life they deserve. Whether you just had a cardiac procedure, or if you have cardiovascular disease, we’ll help you learn how to exercise safely, improve your stamina, and strengthen your muscles. We work with you individually to customize an exercise plan and even lifestyle based on your abilities, needs, and interests.
How you can benefit from our cardiac rehabilitation program:
- Improvement in exercise tolerance
- Improvement in symptoms
- Improvement in blood lipid (cholesterol) levels
- Reduction in elevated blood pressure
- Weight reduction
- Reduction of stress
- Enhanced quality of life
Cardiac rehab can improve the following heart conditions:
- Heart disease such as chronic angina
- Chronic heart failure
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Angioplasty (PTCA) &/or coronary stenting
- Coronary bypass surgery
- Heart valve repair/replacement
- Heart transplant
The keys to good heart health:
- Exercise: regular physical activity that is tailored to your abilities, needs and interests.
- Education: learning about your heart problem, its causes, treatments and how you can better manage it.
- Counseling: advice on why and how to change your lifestyle to lower your risk of future heart problems.
- Behavior Change: learning specific skills to enable you to stop unhealthy behaviors such as smoking and develop new healthy behaviors such as following a heart-healthy diet.
Cardiac rehabilitation services at Stamford Health:
- Uniquely state-of-the-art equipment
- Individualized programs based on national guidelines by the the American Association of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Rehabilitation and The American College of Sports Medicine.
- Physician-directed ECG monitored exercise rehabilitation sessions directly supervised by exceptionally trained exercise physiologists and licensed nurses.
- Our knowledgeable and highly trained allied health professionals who monitor blood pressure, heart rate, perceived exertion, and other performance variables. Our staff is always available to answer questions and address concerns as you progress through your customized program. Lifestyle management counseling to reduce your risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
- Educational topics to support your diet and heart health.
- We also offer self-pay lifetime exercise fitness programs, supervised by trained clinical exercise specialists and nurses.
Cardiac rehabilitation insurance coverage:
Most insurance carriers provide you with coverage for cardiac rehabilitation services that are directed and supervised by licensed physicians. However, you must be referred by your physician using one of the following *diagnoses:
- Post Myocardial infarction
- Post Coronary By-pass Graft
- Post Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty (PCI) or Stent
- Current Stable Angina
- Post Heart Valve Repair or Replacement
- Post Heart-Lung Transplant
- Current Stable Chronic Heart Failure
- Symptomatic Peripheral Artery Disease
*Diagnostic occurrence date for Myocardial infarction should be within 12 months of entry to our Cardiac Rehabilitation program