Prepare for your trip to the hospital and for your baby’s journey into life by taking these steps in second and third trimesters:
- Sign up for classes — We offer childbirth classes, as well as classes on infant care and breastfeeding.
- Pack your hospital bag — We recommend bringing comfortable pajamas to wear after delivery, and a change of clothes for your partner or labor coach as well. You’ll also want to bring your preferred toiletries, any music you’d like to play during childbirth, and any other material to help pass the time.
- Make sure you're registered — If you requested hospital admission forms, please fill them out and send them to us ahead of time.
- Write down your birthing preferences — You may wish to complete our Birthing Preferences Checklist before coming to the hospital.
- Know your pain relief options — Discuss pain management for childbirth with your obstetrician ahead of time. You can also request a consultation with an anesthesiologist.
- Choose a pediatrician — Here's everything you should keep in mind about finding the pediatrician that's right for your family.
Prenatal and Childbirth Classes
It’s our mission to educate, prepare, and make your family comfortable when you’re expecting a child. Stamford Hospital offers a range of classes, tours, and services for both first-time and returning parents.
These classes are taught by experienced labor and delivery nurses. If you’re first-time parents-to-be, we recommend taking these classes 6-8 weeks before your due date. During these classes, you and your partner will learn about the process of labor and childbirth, relaxation and breathing techniques to help you through labor, positioning and comfort measures, options for pain medication and anesthesia and variations of normal labor and cesarean births. The class will also include a tour of the Mother-Baby Unit at Stamford Hospital.
Basics of Infant Care
Preparation for Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding a baby can be a rewarding experience. Studies show that breast milk provides the best nutrition for babies, offers health benefits that are extremely valuable for infant growth and development, and is also advantageous to the woman's health as a new mother and in years to come. We have on-staff, international board-certified Lactation Consultants to provide support and instruction to all new mothers who want to are able to breastfeed.
Maternity and Labor & Delivery Tours
We invite you and your partner to tour our facilities to see first-hand what delivery at Stamford Hospital will be like. Not only will you get an overview of our services, but we’ll also show you our spacious labor and delivery suites and recovery rooms. We also give a tour of the postpartum unit, with all private rooms; each with a large private bath and shower and pleasing decor.
Our child-friendly tour lets brothers and sisters visit the Mother/Baby Unit prior to your stay at Stamford Hospital.