Adult Congenital Heart Disease
Expert cardiac care to meet the complex needs of adults living with congenital heart disease.
Talk to Us
We’re here to help. If you have questions or need assistance, call 203.276.4413.
If you’re one of the million and a half adults in the United States with congenital heart disease (a heart disease that you were born with) you need an experienced cardiologist who understands how childhood heart disease can affect you later in life. You may have one or several of the 35 different types of adult congenital heart disease (ACHD), with one or a combination of heart problems. If you underwent heart surgery as a child, you may have since developed problems such as heart failure, pulmonary hypertension, or a heart rhythm disorder such as atrial fibrillation. Or, you may be a newly diagnosed adult patient with a congenital heart defect that was undiscovered until now, after you started to develop symptoms.
Whatever your particular situation, you can receive advanced care here at the Heart and Vascular Institute (HVI), where world-class experts join together to bring you the very latest gold-standard approaches to ACHD. Our cardiologists understand the unique anatomy of an adult patient with congenital heart disease. They possess the experience and expertise in diagnosing and treating ACHD patients with sophisticated modalities that include echocardiography, interventional cardiac catheterization, electrophysiology and complex congenital heart surgery.
We’re very proud to be collaborating with Columbia/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's oldest, largest, and most experienced ACHD programs, to provide you with the best treatment possibilities with the goal of improving your longevity and quality of life.
Why Choose Us
- A multidisciplinary team of experts collaborate to provide you with an individualized diagnosis and treatment plan. The HVI’s ACHD program is led by Marlon S. Rosenbaum, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and Director of the Schneeweiss Adult Congenital Heart Center at Columbia University Medical Center.
- Your complete evaluation is performed right here at the HVI with state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging equipment, enabling you to obtain a timely and accurate evaluation.
- We have the expertise and capabilities to treat many ACHD conditions here at HVI. For more complex interventions, you have seamless access to the ACHD program at Columbia, where you can receive the most innovative ACDH therapies.
- Cardiac catheterization
- Cardiopulmonary stress testing
- Congenital echocardiography
- CT angiography
We evaluate a full spectrum of adult congenital heart diseases including:
If you are a woman with ACHD and are pregnant or considering pregnancy: We can assess whether or not you can safely get pregnant or whether you are likely to have any problems related to your heart condition. We can provide treatment that will make pregnancy safer and monitor you throughout your pregnancy. We closely collaborate with Stamford Health maternal fetal medicine physicians to ensure that you have a healthy and safe pregnancy.