You may have recently been started on an anticoagulant (also known as a blood thinner) or have been on it for a long period of time. You may also be aware that anticoagulants such as warfarin (Coumadin®), Eliquis®, Xarelto® or Pradaxa® can save lives and prevent dangerous blood clots, but they carry the risk of unwanted bleeding.
Stamford Health's Anticoagulation Clinic offers a team approach to addressing all your questions and concerns about taking your anticoagulant.
Together with your referring physician, our anticoagulation team will manage your anticoagulation therapy according to our Pharmacy &Therapeutics Committee approved protocol under a collaborative practice agreement with your physician.
During your visit, the team will:
- Test your INR with a simple fingerstick to get your result within minutes. INR (International Normalized ratio) reflects how long it takes for your blood to clot (also called prothrombin time). INR testing is a key component in maintaining a safe control of your warfarin treatment.
- Help you achieve your INR goal.
- Consult with you about your dose of warfarin and adjust it as needed.
- Speak with you about how your other medications and diet may affect your warfarin level.
- Ask about any noticeable changes in your overall health, or other issues that can impact your compliance with your appointments for INR testing.
- Assist with obtaining medication refills.
As part of your anticoagulation therapy and treatment plan at Stamford Health, we may ask you the following questions on a regular basis:
- Has anything changed recently in your medical condition?
- Have you had any changes in your medications or supplements?
- Have you missed any doses of warfarin or taken more than your prescribed dose since your last INR check?
- Have you noticed any excessive bruising, nosebleed, or any other bleeding?
- Do you have any surgeries or procedures coming up?
Why Choose Us
Stamford Health's anticoagulation team brings together certified experts in their field. We're specially trained to work with you to address all your needs when it comes to being on blood thinners. We understand the concerns you may have if you've been prescribed blood thinners, especially if you have conditions such as atrial fibrillation or have experienced a stroke in the past. Our team is in constant communication with your referring physician and will immediately address any concerns regarding your anticoagulation therapy should they arise.
We know life on blood thinners can be challenging. That's why we're here to support you and encourage you to keep an open conversation about your medications and your health.
Medication Therapy Management
If you are on multiple medications, it can be challenging to manage your therapy. Our team is ready to help you increase your understanding of your medications and help tailor an approach to improve your ability to comply with your medication regimen.
- Our team will provide a comprehensive medication review (medications, OTCs, and supplements, expiration date).
- Will assess medication appropriateness, potential redundancy, and evaluate medications at risk for adverse reactions.
- Will provide counselling and education of all your medications to ensure your understanding of them
If you are interested in our Medication Therapy Management services, please share this Medication Therapy Management referral form & with your physician.