Safety & Quality
At Stamford Health, we believe that patient safety and quality go hand in hand, and are committed to continually improving how we care for our patients and their families. Ensuring our patients receive appropriate, safe and effective care is a challenging process that requires the dedication of many people throughout the organization, as well as that of our patients, families and visitors.
We invite you to review some of our more recent recognitions highlighting the quality and safety measures driven by our dedicated healthcare teams.
Stamford Hospital is one of roughly 7 percent of hospitals nationwide to have achieved the prestigious Magnet designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (AMCC) Magnet Recognition Program®, the highest recognition possible for nurses.
This reflects our dedication to superior patient care, safety, quality and patient satisfaction. We're proud of this honor. We're proud of our nurses.
Leapfrog Hospital Safety Score
Stamford Hospital received an A on the Leapfrog Hospital Safety report card in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
This report uses a subset of the many publicly reported measures and stresses measures related to patient safety. These include safe practices (e.g., computerized physician order entry), surgical care processes (e.g., perioperative “blood clot” prevention), hospital acquired infection (e.g., central line infection), and hospital acquired complications (e.g., post-operative complications). Stamford Hospital performed well in a number of these areas, and made considerable progress in the last two years on specific areas the hospital had performed sub-optimally.
The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval®
Stamford Hospital has earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for accreditation by demonstrating compliance with The Joint Commission’s national standards for health care quality and safety in hospitals. The accreditation award recognizes Stamford Hospital’s dedication to continuous compliance with The Joint Commission’s state-of-the-art standards.
The Joint Commission’s Key Quality Measures®
Joint Commission, considered the gold seal for hospital care, named Stamford Hospital in their 2015 TJC report as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures®. Recognition by the Joint Commission puts Stamford Hospital among 9% of US hospitals recognized for achieving excellence across six areas, and among 32% percent who received recognition in at least one area. Stamford Hospital was recognized for attaining and sustaining excellence across a number of medical and surgical care measures, specifically in Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Perinatal, Pneumonia, Stroke, and Surgical Care. Among all Connecticut hospitals evaluated by the Joint Commission, Stamford was one of only three recognized in six areas for 2014.
Planetree Designated® Patient-Centered Hospital
Stamford Hospital is a Planetree designated patient-centered hospital, and has earned their Distinction Award for Leadership and Innovation in Patient-Centered Care, placing it among only eight of the 365 Planetree facilities in the world to be recognized with the honor. The prestigious award acknowledges our ongoing efforts to advance patient-centered care through participation in research, publication, outreach and innovation.
As a Planetree hospital, we are committed to personalizing, humanizing and demystifying the healthcare experience for patients and their families. Our approach is holistic and encourages healing in all dimensions - mind, body, and spirit.
U.S. News & World Report Ranking
Stamford Hospital is proud of its 2018-2019 U.S. News & World Report ranking on their Best Regional Hospitals list.
Recognized for Quality Improvement
A recipient of the Joint Commission's Ernest A. Codman award for excellence in the use of outcomes measurement to achieve improvements in the quality and safety of healthcare in the hospital Intensive Care Unit.
Stamford Hospital has been recognized numerous times at the New York-Presbyterian Healthcare System (NYPHS) Quality Symposium. The hospital received the award for "Recognition of Commitment to Quality Innovation." The award recognizes the achievements of the Environmental Services and Infectious Disease Departments in their joint effort to combat the prevalence of hospital-acquired infections.
The Hospital received the innovation award for our poster presentation “Sustained Reduction in Hospital-Wide Urinary Catheter Use and CAUTIs.” In addition, our Primary Angioplasty program was selected for a poster presentation about door-to-balloon performance improvement.
Level II Trauma Center Designation
Stamford's trauma service is recognized by both The American College of Surgeons and the Connecticut Department of Health as a Level II Trauma Center.
Bennett Cancer Center
- The Bennett Cancer Center has a multidisciplinary approach to providing quality cancer care and continues to meet or exceed 32 standards of compliance related to clinical services, patient outcomes, program management, and data quality. Accredited as an Academic Comprehensive Cancer Program, the center has received the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer in 2010 and in 2013.
- The Bennett Cancer Center is recognized as a Center of Excellence by the Lung Cancer Alliance. This recognition represents our ongoing commitment to responsible screenings for patients.
- Stamford Hospital received a 2015 - 2018 Women’s Choice Award, recognizing it as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Cancer Care.
- The Bennett Cancer Center received reaccreditation in 2017 by the QOPI Certification Program (QCP™), an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). QCP builds on ASCO’s Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI®), providing a three-year certification for outpatient hematology-oncology practices that meet nationally recognized standards for quality cancer care.
- The Women’s Breast Center was the first in the nation to be recognized by the American College of Surgeons as a National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)-accredited center in 2009 and was re-accredited in 2012, 2015, and 2018.
- The Women’s Breast Center has been designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology.
- The Women’s Breast Center earned distinction as a 2013 Gold Prize Recipient of the Connecticut Quality Improvement Award (CQIA) for integrating 3D Tomography for all screening mammography patients into both of its breast imaging center locations.
- Stamford Hospital received the 2014 - 2018 Women’s Choice Award as an America’s Best Breast Center.The Women’s Choice Awards are the only award to identify the country’s best healthcare institutions based on criteria that considers female patient satisfaction and trusted referrals from other women.
- Participant in the NQMBC® Program.
Center for Sleep Medicine
Connecticut Center for Sleep Medicine at Stamford Hospital is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
Center for Surgical Weight Loss
Stamford Hospital received the MBSAQIP accreditation in Bariatric Services. A MBSAQIP accreditation for Stamford Hospital formally acknowledges a commitment to providing and supporting quality improvement and patient safety efforts for metabolic and bariatric surgery. As an accredited program, we have demonstrated that our Center for Surgical Weight Loss (CSWL) meets the needs of patients by providing multidisciplinary, high-quality, and patient-centered care.
This MBSAQIP decision represents the highest level of accreditation that can be awarded to an organization and shows Stamford Hospital’s dedication to and quality treatment of surgical weight loss patients. This three-year accreditation validates the CSWL quality patient outcomes, comprehensive care, and patient support throughout the continuum of care.
Cohen's Children Specialty Center
The Hospital’s KIDS’ FANS (Kids’ Fitness and Nutrition Services) effort received the 2010 Connecticut’s Hospital Community Service Award.
Diabetes & Endocrine Center
The Diabetes Education program received continued recognition from the American Diabetes Association (ADA) as an accredited program.
The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) has recognized Tully Health Center’s Endoscopy Center as a provider promoting quality in endoscopy.
Heart & Vascular Institute
- Cardiac Rehabilitation was recertified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
- The Heart and Vascular Institute achieved the AHA Lifeline STEMI Receiving Center (Emergency Heart Care) Silver Performance Achievement Award.
- The Heart and Vascular Institute achieved the AHA Lifeline STEMI Receiving Center (Emergency Heart Care) Bronze Performance Achievement Award. (2010)
- American Heart Association recognized Stamford Hospital as a Fit Friendly Employer
- Nuclear Diagnostic and Cardiology Laboratories were accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Nuclear Medicine Laboratories.
- The American Heart Association recognizes Stamford Hospital for achieving 85% or higher compliance to all "Get With The Guidelines" Heart Failure achievement measures and 75% or higher compliance with four or more "Get With the Guidelines" Heart Failure quality measures for two or more consecutive years to improve quality patient care and outcomes.
- The American Heart Association recognizes Stamford Hospital for achieving 85% or higher composite adherence to all Mission: Lifeline® STEMI Receiving Center Performance Achievement indicators for consecutive 12-month intervals, 75% or higher compliance on all Mission: Lifeline® STEMI Receiving Center quality measures, and First-Door-to-Device time of 120 minutes or less for transfers, to improve the quality of care for STEMI patients.
- The American Heart Association recognizes Stamford Hospital for achieving 85% or higher composite adherence to all Mission: Lifeline® NSTEMI Receiving Center Performance Achievement indicators consecutive 90 day intervals and 65% adherence to Dual Antiplatelet prescription at discharge to improve the quality of care for NSTEMI patients.
- Stamford Hospital received 2015 and 2016 Women’s Choice Awards, recognizing it as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care. Stamford Hospital’s Heart & Vascular Institute offers the most comprehensive cardiac services in the region, including cardiac surgery, complex interventional cardiology, advanced arrhythmia procedures as well as cardiac disease risk education, assessment and prevention.
Orthopedic & Spine Institute
The Hospital received Joint Commission certification for Total Hip and Total Knee programs. SH also received Joint Commission certification for its Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery program; the first hospital in Connecticut with this certification.
- The Connecticut Department of Public Health and the
Joint Commission have designated Stamford Hospital as a Primary Stroke Center.
- Stamford Hospital has been recognized for achievement in the Get with the Guidelines Quality Improvement program. This means patients can expect stroke care at our center that is consistent with the latest scientific guidelines from the
American Heart Association.
- Stamford Hospital received 2015 and 2016 Women’s Choice Awards, recognizing it as one of America’s Best Stroke Centers.
- Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery re-accredited Fall 2015
- Stamford Hospital’s Maternal-Child Health Units received a Gold Level CQIA Innovation Prize from The Connecticut Quality Improvement Award Partnership, Inc. on June 24th, 2014. This award recognizes the innovative approach to bringing evidence based care to the bedside, disseminating data, and implementing best practices to improve perinatal, maternal, and neonatal outcomes.
- Stamford Hospital received the 2014 - 2018 Women’s Choice Award as an America’s Best Hospital for Patient Experience in Obstetrics. The Women’s Choice Awards are the only award to identify the country’s best healthcare institutions based on criteria that considers female patient satisfaction and trusted referrals from other women.
Wound Care Center and Hyperbaric Center
Recipient of Center of Distinction Award in 2015 for outstanding clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction.
- The Hospital Laboratory service is certified by the College of American Pathologists.
- The Darien Imaging Center was awarded accreditation in Computer Tomography Services from the American College of Radiology.
- Stamford Hospital received the 2013 Excellence in Innovation Award from the healthcare Advisory Board Company. The award was received for the organization’s effort to leverage technology and education, to reduce Central Line-Associated Blood Stream Infections in a high risk population by 76%.