Dr. Alexander McLawhorn is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee reconstruction in adults. He partners with his patients to help them achieve their individual goals.
Dr. McLawhorn attended college at Yale University and earned his medical degree from Columbia University. He received awards for excellence in orthopedic surgery and research during his residency at the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS). After his residency, Dr. McLawhorn completed an advanced fellowship in adult reconstruction and joint replacement at HSS and served as their administrative Chief Fellow.
Dr. McLawhorn is committed to health care delivery, quality, safety and value. He served as the Health Policy Fellow for the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) to improve how hip and knee replacement are provided through government-regulated insurance. His work resulted in improved nationwide access to joint replacement procedures.
Dr. McLawhorn has authored numerous publications, earned multiple research awards and grants, and presented his research nationally and internationally. His awards include:
- EOA/OREF Resident/Fellow Travel Grant, Eastern Orthopaedic Association, 2016
- Research Excellence Award, Adult Reconstruction & Joint Replacement Fellowship, Hospital for Special Surgery, 2016
- Frank Stinchfield Award, The Hip Society, 2016
- Health Policy Fellow, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, 2015
- Lewis Clark Wagner, MD, Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Clinical/Translational Research, 2015
- OREF/RJOS/DePuy Research Grant in Women's Musculoskeletal Health, 2015
- Distinguished Housestaff Award, Orthopedic Surgery, New York Weill Cornell Medical Center Alumni Council, 2014
- Ranawat Award, Eastern Orthopaedic Association, 2014
- ICJR Pan-Pacific American/European Research Award, 2014
- American Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Emerging Leaders Program, 2014
- First Prize in Clinical Medicine, Medical Society of the State of New York Symposium, 2014
- Richard S. Laskin Research Award, 2013
- Resident/Fellow Travel Grant Award, Eastern Orthopaedic Association, 2013
- AAOS/OREF/ORS Clinician Scholar Career Development Program, 2013
Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Hip and Knee Replacement
Education & Training
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Hospital for Special Surgery
Hospital for Special Surgery
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Société Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association
If You Are in Need of Emergency Care, Call 911.
The majority of the physicians on the Stamford Hospital Medical Staff are not employees or agents of the Hospital. They are independent practitioners who have been granted the privilege of using the Hospital's facilities for the care and treatment of their patients. This includes, but is not limited to, emergency department physicians, anesthesiologists, radiologists, surgeons, cardiologists, obstetricians, pathologists and other consultants who may treat patients.
Insurance listings are subject to change at any time. Please verify insurance plan acceptance when scheduling an appointment with a healthcare provider.