What’s Medical Nutrition Therapy?
Medical nutrition therapy (MNT) is nutrition-based guidance from a registered dietitian who understands every child is unique and has different nutritional needs. MNT can help you and your child:
- Set goals like following a nutritious diet
- Improve lifestyle habits
- Create a personalized treatment plan
- Stay motivated and healthy with regular follow-up care
Benefits of Proper Nutrition
Your child needs proper nutrition at every stage of life. That’s because children and adolescents require nutrient-rich, balanced meals to support healthy growth and development. When you introduce the concept of nutrition early on in childhood, you establish the foundation for a lifetime of healthy eating behaviors.
Children who are well-nourished and participate in regular physical activity:
- Perform better academically
- Are less likely to be absent from school
- Have increased self-esteem
Does My Child Need Nutrition Counseling?
Our registered dietitian's expertise can help your child feel better and thrive. Pediatric nutrition services treat and manage chronic health conditions and other illnesses affected by diet, such as:
- Celiac disease (gluten intolerance)
- Failure to thrive
- Fatty liver
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Insulin resistance
- Feeding difficulties
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
Nutrition services are also available for families looking to improve their eating habits and overall nutrition.
Customized, one-on-one medical nutrition therapy for your child. Visit includes:
- Assessment – Reviews current eating and lifestyle habits, lab results, and medical history
- Diagnosis – Identifies nutritional needs
- Intervention – Creates a nutrition plan that fits your child’s needs, taste preferences and lifestyle
- Monitoring and evaluation – Tracks progress and outcomes, reinforces nutritional themes and provides ongoing encouragement to help your child achieve their nutritional goals
Schedule a Nutrition Consultation
- You'll need a referral from your child's
pediatrician before you can schedule an appointment. Please see the online physician referral form
- Call 203.276.4061 if you have any questions or need assistance.
- Please bring a copy of your insurance card to your appointment, see list of what Stamford Hospital insurances are accepted.
Ilaria St. Florian, MS, RD
Ilaria has a master’s degree in Nutrition Education from Columbia University and is a Registered Dietitian-Nutritionist. She is also the manager of Stamford Hospital’s KIDS’ FANS (Fitness and Nutrition Services), a pediatric nutrition education program that promotes childhood wellness, obesity prevention and physical activity. KIDS’ FANS’ curriculum empowers children and adolescents to make healthy behavioral changes by providing the tools and skills needed to navigate their food and exercise environments.