Handled with care and compassion
Our multidisciplinary, patient-centered approach to your care at Stamford Health extends beyond the waiting, operating, and examination rooms. This culture of service is also ever-present in our dedicated team of pathologists. We believe in complete transparency when it comes to your medical testing, no matter the time or day.
We meet the diverse needs of patients and families in the surrounding Stamford community. Above all, we help you understand your diagnosis or can provide you with a second opinion, as is proven time and again by the following qualities that set us apart:
- CAP Accredited Laboratory: Our laboratory is accredited by and part of the College of American Pathologists. For you, that means an exceptional level of care as we strive to go above and beyond the ever-changing standards for laboratory quality.
- Top Doctors: Stamford Hospital has pathologists recognized by Castle Connolly’s Top Doctors list and led by. Laboratory Medical Director and Chief of Pathology: Robert C. Babkowski MD, MMM
- Strong Leadership: We have 6 pathologists, all American trained and fellowship sub-specialized, led by Robert Babkowski who advocates a multidisciplinary approach to every unique case. Together, our team sets expectations which include: timeliness of results, minimization of false positives for cancers and other conditions, accountability, and honest communication.
- Outstanding Customer Service: Our laboratory team doesn’t just work behind the scenes to deliver your results. We’re involved every step of the way to ensure your needs come first, as is echoed in our Planetree philosophy of patient-centered care. We refer you for testing right here so you don’t have to travel far. We also have dedicated couriers that expedite the delivery of all samples, ensuring they are tested fast and accurately.
- Most Trusted by Patients: The laboratory here at Stamford Health is among the most trusted by patients in Fairfield County. You can take comfort in knowing your samples will always be handled with meticulous care. That means none of them will be shipped elsewhere to sit for days on end; we work with our specimen processors to test for results as soon as the next day. We wouldn’t have it any other way except rapid and accurate, so you shouldn’t, either.
- Convenient Draw Services: We provide convenient hours throughout the week and also on weekends. If you can’t get to us for whatever reason, we can help you schedule a home draw service so a phlebotomist can come directly to your home.
Expertise meets advanced science
The world of medicine is always evolving, so that means our team is expected to put their best foot forward when it comes to laboratory services. From primary diagnostic services in surgical pathology and cytopathology, to second review of benign and malignant diagnoses, we’re prepared to meet the growing demands of healthcare today. With the constant advancement of science, our lab is equivalent to the capacity of a major academic medical center, utilizing the latest technology and equipment. This aids us in performing the following services when handling samples.
This area allows us to concentrate on the fluid portion of blood as well as other bodily fluids. With our advanced technology, we’re able to have state-of-the-art results available to you and your doctor in a timely manner. That means faster time from diagnosis to treatment.
We focus on identifying microorganisms including bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites that cause infectious diseases . This allows us to work with your doctor to administer the appropriate treatment as fast as possible. We perform advanced PCR testing for enterovirus, MRSA/MSSA, C-difficile, Influenza A,B and H1N1 and Norovirus as well as the ability to identify multiple respiratory pathogens with an automated system that utilizes multiplex PCR capable of identifying 20 of the most common viruses and bacteria associated with respiratory disease, including adenovirus, Mycoplasma and Bordetella. We also utilize advanced RNA detection methods to test for GC/Chlamydia and HPV and have just instituted the Bruker Maldi-Tof® to improve microorganism identification. This mass spectrometry instrumentation enables us to perform same-day identification and with greater precision.
This is the study of changes at the cellular level caused by disease, and involves the microscopic examination of whole, individual cells. Our molecular pathologists oversee testing for specific cancers in order to provide more accurate diagnoses. Our thyroid biopsy is among the best in the state, and our cytotechnicians provide the best reads for pap smears.
Working in close partnership with our department of surgery, we meticulously examine and record any changes in surgical specimens or biopsies. Our team is trained to analyze samples as they pertain to each type of surgery offered at Stamford Health. Microscopic examination requires our pathologists to interpret a complex array of patterns that distinguish normal from abnormal tissue, including vast categories of benign, pre-malignant, and malignant disease.