What is Lung Nodule Treatment? Everything You Need to Know
Call 203.276.6191 to speak to a member of the Stamford Health Lung Nodule Clinic.
What Are Lung Nodules?
Lung nodules are spots in your lungs found on imaging studies. You may have one nodule or multiple nodules. While they may be benign, lung nodules are best evaluated by experts in a comprehensive program.
What Causes Lung Nodules?
Many times the cause of a lung nodule is unknown. Lung spots may be caused by:
- Benign tumor
- Lung cancer
- Cancer that has spread to the lungs from another part of the body
- Old scars
Your First Appointment
Access the latest technology and treatment for lung nodules at Stamford Health.
At your first appointment, you can expect your doctor to:
- Ask you about any symptoms
- Review your medical history
- Perform a physical exam
- Recommend imaging tests or procedures to look at your lungs or review results of tests you’ve already undergone
- Discuss any need for surveillance or treatment
Lung Nodule Evaluation
Turn to Stamford Health for an accurate and timely evaluation. To determine the cause and best treatment options, your doctor may recommend:
- Imaging studies: Chest x-rays, Computed tomography (CT) scan – and Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
- Bronchoscopy: A flexible video camera inserted through the mouth to evaluate the lungs
- CT guided needle biopsy
- Blood based test to help determine the risk of lung cancer
- Pulmonary Function Tests: evaluation of lung function to help determine treatment strategies
Benefits of Lung Nodule Care at Stamford Health
Expert comprehensive care of lung nodules using the latest clinical evidence and advanced technology:
- Cutting edge bronchoscopy including Illumisite technology, linear endobronchial ultrasound and radial endobronchial ultrasound
- Access to clinical trials for blood based and genomic diagnostics
- Fine cut CT scans with enhanced diagnostics
- Artificial intelligence software for improved radiologic reports
- Minimally invasive surgery including robotic and video assisted approaches
- Biweekly multidisciplinary conference for lung nodule evaluation
Talk to your care team to see if you qualify to participate in a clinical trial. You’ll be in the hands of highly skilled physicians working to improve ways to prevent, diagnose, and treat lung nodules.
Your Lung Nodule Care Team
Get expert thoracic care and treatment from a team of specialists, including:
- Pulmonologist – Doctor with specialized training to diagnose and treat respiratory conditions
- Radiologist – Doctor who specializes in using medical imaging to diagnose disease
- Thoracic nurse – Provides support and education on lung health
- Thoracic surgeon – Performs surgery on organs in your chest, including the lungs