Our Nursing Team: Honored by the Magnet Recognition Program®
Achieving the highest in nursing excellence
We're officially among roughly 7 percent of hospitals nationwide to have been granted Magnet* status by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). This reflects the superior patient care our nurses deliver each and every day—with the highest levels of safety, quality and patient satisfaction. Additionally, this represents our nurses' continued adherence to national standards and demonstration of exceptional leadership as well as sensitivity to culture and ethnic diversity. Even more, it's emblematic of the entire Stamford Health healing experience. We're proud of this honor. We're proud of our nurses.
To achieve such a designation, hospitals must undergo a rigorous, months-long process evaluation, that includes both a comprehensive document submission and an onsite evaluation of patient care and outcomes. These hospitals must also provide an annual status report on their progress and undergo re-evaluation every four years to retain the designation.
*The Magnet Recognition Program®, ANCC Magnet Recognition®, Magnet®, ANCC National Magnet Conference®, and Journey to Magnet Excellence® names and logos are registered trademarks of the American Nurses Credentialing Center. All rights reserved.
Celebrating our patients
What nurses are most proud of at Stamford Hospital is that they can and do have an impact on patient care. Through the growth, development and evaluation of the Shared Governance model and the work of our nursing councils, our nurses excel through their readiness to learn, research and implement change at the bedside to improve care for their patients. We work to present our nurses as:
- Consultants and resources
- Autonomous care providers
- Bridges between all medical areas
- Promoters of quality care and improvement
Our Professional Practice Model
Our nurses follow the Shared Governance model, a philosophy that’s constantly growing and developing. Together, our team believes in the following:
To be the regional leader for compassionate, innovative, quality nursing practice across the continuum of care.
To provide the highest level of patient-family centered care through evidence based practice, collaboration and advancement in professional nursing care in a culturally sensitive environment to achieve exceptional outcomes for our community.
A Philosophy Based on a Professional Nursing Model:
- An evidence-based practice environment, professional development and communication through inter-professional relationships.
- A shared governance practice environment
- Patient-family centered care
- Respecting cultural diversity
- Providing safe, compassionate care
- Partnering with the community to promote health and wellness
- Lifelong learning for nurses, patients and families
- Acting as patient advocates
- Achieving exceptional, quality outcomes for our patients
- Acting in alignment with the organization’s core values
A Culture of Quality, Safety, and Service
At Stamford Health, our nurses are dedicated to improving our culture, delivering exceptional care, and celebrating progress in our patient experience. Here’s how:
- Hourly rounding
- Post-discharge phone calls to ensure patients are recovering and following their plan of care post-hospitalization
- MRSA screening and improved hand hygiene, leading to a reduction in hospital-acquired infections
- Bedside Medication Verification, enabling caregivers to utilize a barcode scanning technology to ensure correct medications and dosages for each patient
- Enhanced fall risk assessment and interventions to reduce falls
- Improved patient throughput in the ED, resulting in a reduction in transfer time for admitted patients
This level of excellence is not an accident. Only exceptional nurses can deliver exceptional patient-centered care. We work hard to attract the highest quality nurses, provide opportunities for their continuing education and training, and support their professional goals. Just as important, we offer a culture where any improvement in the patient experience is celebrated. Our nurses continually live our values of respect, accountability, teamwork, compassion and integrity, while meeting the challenges of a demanding yet rewarding profession.
Helpful Contact Information
- Maternal-Child Health: KLivolsi@stamhealth.org
- Med/Surg: EMcKinlay@stamhealth.org
- Critical Care Services: ELongmore@stamhealth.org
- Rehabilitation, Psychiatry & Special Projects: SSanders@stamhealth.org
- Emergency Department: MMcCauley@stamhealth.org
- Patient Resources: SSanders@stamhealth.org
- Periop Services: FDorio@stamhealth.org