Our Nursing Team: Honored by the Magnet Recognition Program®
Achieving the highest in nursing excellence
On April 19, 2021, Stamford Health was officially awarded Magnet Redesignation. We are among 7 percent of hospitals nationwide to have been granted Magnet* designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), and one of 7 hospitals in the state of CT.
The Magnet Recognition Program designates organizations worldwide where nursing leaders successfully align their nursing strategic goals to improve the organization’s patient outcomes. The Magnet Recognition Program provides a roadmap to nursing excellence, which benefits the whole of an organization. To nurses, Magnet Recognition means education and development through every career stage, which leads to greater autonomy at the bedside. To patients, it means the very best care, delivered by nurses who are supported to be the very best that they can be.
To achieve such a designation, hospitals must undergo a year-long rigorous process, that includes both a comprehensive document submission and an onsite evaluation. In the midst of managing through a pandemic, our dedicated team not only submitted a successful document, but excelled and thrived during our virtual site visit.
We’re proud of this honor. We're proud of our nurses and healthcare team.
*The Magnet Recognition Program®, ANCC Magnet Recognition®, Magnet®, ANCC National Magnet Conference®, and Journey to Magnet Excellence® names and logos are registered trademarks of the American Nurses Credentialing Center. All rights reserved.
Celebrating our patients
What nurses are most proud of at Stamford Hospital is that they have a direct impact on patient care. Our Nursing Professional Governance model supports clinical nurses evaluating quality outcomes and implementing evidence based practices resulting in exceptional patient care.
Our Professional Practice Model
The professional practice model is the foundation for the care we provide to our patients. Our patients and families are at the center of the model because they are the purpose and motivation for the care we provide every day. We are able to provide this patient and family centered care through our quality nursing practice, effective communication, interprofessional collaboration and ongoing professional development. In addition to our professional practice model, the nursing department has a shared vision, mission and philosophy:
To be the regional leader for compassionate, innovative, quality nursing practice across the continuum of care.
To provide the highest level of patient-family centered care through evidence based practice, collaboration and advancement in professional nursing care in a culturally sensitive environment to achieve exceptional outcomes for our community.
A Philosophy Based on a Professional Nursing Model:
- An evidence-based practice environment, professional development and communication through inter-professional relationships.
- A shared governance practice environment
- Patient-family centered care
- Respecting cultural diversity
- Providing safe, compassionate care
- Partnering with the community to promote health and wellness
- Lifelong learning for nurses, patients and families
- Acting as patient advocates
- Achieving exceptional, quality outcomes for our patients
- Acting in alignment with the organization’s core values
A Culture of Quality, Safety, and Service
At Stamford Health, our nurses are dedicated to improving our culture, delivering exceptional care, and celebrating progress in our patient experience. Here’s how:
- “5P patient promise” purposeful rounding to proactively address patient needs related to pain, positioning, bathroom needs, personal items, and safety.
- Post-discharge phone calls to ensure patients are recovering and following their plan of care post-hospitalization
- Bedside Medication Verification, enabling caregivers to utilize a barcode scanning technology to ensure correct medications and dosages for each patient
- Bedside shift report to engage patients and families in the plan of care for the shift
- Enhanced fall risk assessment and interventions to reduce falls
- A focus on patient throughput in the ED to reduce wait times for admitted patients
- A comprehensive wound prevention program to prevent patients from developing hospital acquired pressure ulcers
We understand that only exceptional nurses can deliver exceptional patient-centered care. We work hard to attract the highest quality nurses, provide opportunities for their continuing education and training, and support their professional goals. Just as important, we offer a culture where any improvement in the patient experience is celebrated. Our nurses continually live our values of respect, accountability, teamwork, compassion and integrity, while meeting the challenges of a demanding yet rewarding profession.