Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy Program
The pelvis and its supporting muscles are known as the "pelvic floor." Stamford Health's Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy program offers a non-surgical team approach for pelvic floor dysfunction treatment.
Interested in Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy?
Call the Women's Specialty Center: 203.276.2030 and ask to see Jennifer Morgan, Lead Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist.
Though pain and urinary incontinence may come to mind, there are many reasons why women, and sometimes men, seek pelvic floor physical therapy.
Some common conditions our pelvic floor health team treats:
- Pelvic/Vaginal Pain
- Prenatal and Post-Partum Musculoskeletal Pain
- Diastasis Recti or separation of the abdominal muscles (especially after pregnancy)
- Bowel, bladder and sexual dysfunction
- Rehabilitation after breast surgery
- Lower back pain
- Conditions specific to athletes
What to expect at a pelvic floor physical therapy appointment
We'll work with you one-on-one and come up with a treatment plan that best fits your lifestyle. Before we can talk about pelvic floor dysfunction treatment, we'll need to do the following:
- Review your medical history and your specific concerns about pelvic function
- Physical examination of lumbar spine, hips, lower extremities and core
- Pelvic floor muscle assessment
Please note: The internal pelvic floor muscle assessment is different than an examination from your physician. We look specifically at the musculoskeletal components of the pelvic region. The exam looks for:
- Proper motor control
- Trigger points and weakness in pelvis
- Pelvic organ prolapse (descent of the bladder or rectum)
- Muscle asymmetry, strength, length, and tone,
- Reflexes of your pelvic floor
- Areas of scar tissue, if any
- Positioning of the coccyx and pelvic bony anatomy
- Restrictions in the connective tissue
When it comes to pelvic floor physical therapy, everyone is different. We encourage you to be an active participant in your pelvic health. As you progress throughout your treatment, we'll provide suggestions and new techniques along the way.