Summer Safety - At The Park
By Stamford Health Staff
Having fun at the park is one of the best parts of summer vacation. Have a blast grilling and playing, but make sure to follow these health and safety tips! Summer safety will result in summer smiles!
- During the summer, people’s schedules and routines shift. It’s tempting to let eating habits also change, but it’s important to maintain consistency with your nutritional routines.
- Ice cream and fried foods are seemingly available everywhere during the summer, and that’s what kids love best. Try healthier alternatives to fried foods like vegetable platters and healthy dips!
- Fried foods are higher in fat content, and salt that will dehydrate you and your family.
- Fried foods can also cause acid reflux, heartburn and other digestive problems that are only exacerbated in the heat.
- Here are some healthy versions or alternatives to some of summer’s favorite foods that tend to be high in fat and sugar:
○ frozen yogurt instead of ice cream
○ turkey burgers instead of beef
○ fresh fruit pops instead of sugary popsicles
- Visit your local farmers’ market or go berry picking as activity to get healthy foods on the picnic table and beyond.
Unfortunately sometimes accidents happen…
If you have to visit the Stamford Emergency Room keep in mind:
- This is the one place where no one plans to be during the summer, but where plenty of people end up. Have a plan in place in case the unexpected happens and you have to act swiftly.
- There are ways to minimize the risks involved in recreational summer activities. Protective accessories should never be overlooked. Helmets, kneepads and life jackets, for the water, are an essential part of any summer adventure.
- Of course, if an ambulance is needed, ALWAYS call 911.
We love summer fun. In fact, we like to go to the park and grilling out with our family and friends as well. Eat healthy and play outdoors safely. But if for some reason you do need to come visit us in the emergency room, we will be ready to help you. We hope these tips help you enjoy a safe summer that will leave you with lots of memories!