Holiday Cheer: Surviving the Holidays With No Weight Gain!
The Holiday season is upon us once again. It is a time to enjoy family and friends, make New Year’s resolutions and try to survive this time of year without gaining weight. The National Institute of Health estimates Americans gain approximately 1-2 pounds yearly during this time of year. Although this may not seem like a huge amount, if not controlled, it accumulates over years.
Some tips to survive the holidays include:
- If going to a party, bring a healthy dish that you will enjoy
- At a buffet table, check out the entire menu before putting anything on your plate. This will help you control your choices and portion sizes
- Eat enough to feel satisfied, but not stuffed
- Do not skip meals; if you skip meals, you may overeat later in the day
- If there is a buffet style meal, limit the amount of times you go up to the serving table
- Use a small plate to encourage smaller portions, while enjoying a variety of foods
- Add salad or vegetables to the plate for a healthy choice
- Continue (or begin) regular exercise during this time to keep fit and maintain a healthy lifestyle
So, enjoy this special time of year with family and friends, exercise regularly and enjoy your favorite foods this holiday season!