In all of our surgical disciplines, we work toward excellent outcomes. The level of care you deserve and have come to expect is always top of mind in each and every one of the following specialties.
The Center for Surgical Weight Loss (CSWL) provides all procedures including laparoscopic gastric bypass, gastric sleeve resections and the gastric band. As a comprehensive center, the CSWL engages the patient in all aspects of medical and physical wellness. It combines guided exercise programs within the Tully Health Center’s fitness facility, nutritional support from an experienced team of nutritionists and dieticians and ultimately from a variety of services provided by Stamford’s Integrative Medicine practices. Our focus is that our patients will learn the importance of healthy living from a team approach to overall wellness.
Types of Bariatric Surgery We Perform:
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
- Laparoscopic Revisional Surgery
Our breast surgeons at the award-winning Stamford Health Breast Center have extensive experience in and a strong commitment to the evaluation and care of patients with benign and malignant diseases of the breast. All of our breast surgeons are fellowship trained and committed to utilizing the most modern techniques to ensure the best outcome possible. Our multidisciplinary approach to breast care is what sets us apart and gives us the prestigious Women’s Choice Award seal of approval.
Types of Breast Surgery We Perform:
- Breast Conserving Procedures
- Breast Removal Procedures
- Lymph Node Procedures
- Breast Reconstruction Procedures
The Heart & Vascular Institute offers a full spectrum of options for cardiac surgery, whether elective or immediate and life-saving. Our surgical team has outstanding clinical outcomes with a strong focus on each individual patient experience . Your surgeon will always be accessible, and you’ll be assigned a skilled cardiac Nurse Navigator to help coordinate your care and guide you through the process. Our cardiac surgery team is highly experienced in a full range of cardiac surgery techniques, including rare and high-risk cardiac surgical procedures. Our cardiac surgeries include coronary artery bypasses (CABG), valve repairs and replacements, and aortic aneurysm and dissection repairs.
Types of Cardiovascular Surgery We Perform:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Aortic valve repair and replacement
- Mitral valve repair and replacement
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissection repair
- Resection of cardiac tumors
- Surgery to correct congenital defects
- Surgery to correct arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation
- Convergent hybrid ablation approaches to atrial fibrillation
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Modified Bental aortic root replacement
- Hybrid approaches to valve repair (TEVAR)
Colon & Rectal Surgery
Colon and rectal surgery focuses on the treatment of diseases and conditions affecting the intestinal tract, rectum, anus and peri-anal areas. Whenever possible, we strive for a minimally invasive surgical approach to treat colorectal cancer. This not only involves a smaller incision, but also can ultimately reduce postoperative pain and medical levels, as well as speed the return of normal bowel function. Because all of our situations are unique, your doctor will determine if you’re a good candidate for laparoscopic surgery.
Types of Colon & Rectal Surgery We Perform:
- Laparoscopic Colectomy
- Robotic Colectomy
Stamford Health general surgeons have specialized training in operating on organs in the abdomen, including the esophagus, stomach, small bowel, colon, liver, pancreas, gallbladder and bile ducts, and the thyroid gland. Additionally, general surgeons also perform breast procedures, hernia operations and medical procedures on the skin and soft tissues.
We specialize in minimally invasive gynecological surgery, with state-of-the-art technology, such as our da Vinci® robotic surgery platform, that gives our surgeons the tools they need to deliver the most advanced care. Though a minimally invasive approach is not always the best solution for everyone, our physicians have access to the latest, most innovative gynecological surgery technology. da Vinci® robotic surgery:
- Uses small incisions with unmatched precision.
- Can be used to treat both endometrial and cervical cancers.
- Strives for less pain and blood loss, as well as less need for blood transfusions.
- Can result in a shorter hospital stay, which means a quicker recovery and faster return to normal life.
We provide surgical services for women with:
Whether your discomfort results from arthritis, a bad fall, a sports injury, a repetitive motion condition such as carpal tunnel syndrome, an injury to your hand, wrist, elbow or shoulder is debilitating and painful. Understanding that you want fast but lasting relief, our hand surgery specialists diagnose the root cause of your problem and recommend a plan of treatment to help restore normal function as quickly as possible.
Types of Upper Extremity Surgery We Perform:
Neurosurgery is the medical specialty that provides expert surgical care of the nervous system, including the spine, brain and peripheral nerves. We combine advanced brain and spine surgery with compassionate, personalized care and an evidence-based approach. Our two board-certified neurosurgeons manage a wide spectrum of brain and spine disorders and remain committed to offering the best modern methods, including minimally invasive options.
Types of Neurosurgery We Perform:
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion
- Cervical Laminectomy
- Lumbar Laminectomy
- Posterolateral Lumbar Fusion
- Spinal Fusion
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
Other Surgical Specialties and Advanced Technologies We Offer:
- Craniotomy for brain tumors
- Intraoperative Stereotaxis
- Scoliosis surgery
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Decompression
- Spinal Cord Stimulator Placement for chronic pain
- Stealth/Stryker Navigation
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery: Linac and Cyberknife
- VP shunting for hydrocephalus
Our board-certified ophthalmologists share a singular mission: protect and preserve our patients’ eyesight. We’re actively involved in the medical and surgical eye healthcare of our entire hospital community, providing treatment and consultations for the Emergency Department, Tully Immediate Care Center, outpatient clinics, and other hospitalized patients.
We offer state-of-the-art cataract eye surgery and retinal procedures. Our ophthalmologists perform most surgical procedures on an outpatient basis at Stamford Hospital’s main campus, the Tully Health Center, or the Wilton Ambulatory Surgical Center. Most of our ophthalmologists also see patients for diagnosis and treatment at their private practices.
Types of Ophthalmologic Surgery We Perform:
- Cataract Removal Surgery
- Contact Lens Services
- Excision of Chalazion
- Eye Surgery
- Eyelid Surgery
- Foreign Body Removal from Eye
- Glaucoma Surgery
- Removal of Foreign Body from External Eye
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
This type of specialized surgery requires additional years of hospital-based surgical and anesthesia training after dental school. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons handle a wide variety of issues surrounding the mouth, teeth, and facial regions. We offer a full range of surgery from dental implants and wisdom teeth removal, to corrective jaw surgery. For your comfort, we also utilize techniques to rebuild bone structure with minimal surgical intervention when possible. Our team also diagnosis and treats facial pain, facial injuries, and fractures.
Types of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery We Perform:
- Dental Implants
- Bone Grafting
- Wisdom Teeth
- Impacted Canines
- Facial Trauma
- Jaw Surgery
- TMJ Disorders
- Platelet Rich Plasma
Today, many orthopedic issues can be treated non-surgically. If a procedure is necessary, many can now be done using minimally invasive techniques. This delivers a greater likelihood of a positive outcome with a faster recovery time. Most orthopedic procedures are now done on an outpatient basis, allowing you to go home right away.
Under Stamford Health's orthopedic care, Total Joint and Spine, Hip Fracture and Sports Medicine committees work in a collaborative, interdisciplinary fashion.
Types of Orthopedic Surgery We Perform:
- Total Joint Replacement of the hip, knee & shoulder
- Hand and elbow surgery
- Spine & scoliosis treatment and surgery
- Sports medicine evaluation & treatment
- Orthopedic trauma surgery
Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery
Our team provides a spectrum of minimally invasive procedures and endoscopic surgery. They also collaborate with Neurosurgery colleagues for minimally invasive skull base surgery. Members of the Division have also been actively involved in the treatment of balance, hearing, taste, and smell disorders.
Types of Head & Neck Surgery We Perform:
- Head and neck oncologic surgery
- Thyroid and parathyroid
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Our trained team of plastic surgeons is prepared to help you decide on the best way to meet your goals. Plastic surgery falls into two categories: cosmetic surgery and reconstructive surgery. Cosmetic surgery is a surgical change of an otherwise normal physical feature. Reconstructive surgery is a surgical restoration or correction of a physical attribute that has been altered due to birth defect, trauma , or an illness such as cancer. We offer a full range of both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery options and use minimally invasive techniques as often as possible.
Types of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery We Perform:
- Abdominal plastic surgery
- Alteration of ears or nose
- Body fat removal
- Breast enhancement and reduction
- Brow lift
- Chemical peels and dermabrasion
- Contouring of the chin, face, abdomen, face, hips and limbs
- Eyebrow, eyelid and forehead rejuvenation
- Face lift
- Facial rejuvenation
- Laser skin resurfacing
- Scar revision
- Tattoo removal
- Vascular blemish/spider vein treatment
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomy
- Congenital defect repair such as cleft palate
- Craniofacial deformity reconstruction
- Hand surgery
- Head and neck reconstruction after cancer
- Microvascular surgery
- Removal and reconstruction after skin cancer
Podiatry is the treatment of all conditions relating to the foot or ankle — from the inside (bone, tendon and muscle) out, including skin and nails. Our podiatrists are trained in surgical, orthopedic , and nonsurgical treatments. Most foot surgeries can be performed on an outpatient basis at the Tully Health Center, where our board-certified podiatrists utilize the latest technology to perform a variety of surgical procedures such as:
Types of Podiatric Surgery We Perform:
- Reconstructive foot surgery
- Bunion surgery
- Corrective surgery
- Plantar fasciitis surgery
- Removal surgery
Many times, surgery and cancer go hand in hand. That’s why our surgeons and oncologists work closely together when coming up with the best treatment plan for you. Our dedicated team at the Bennett Cancer Center treats 15 types of cancer, with surgery as a treatment option where appropriate.
Types of Cancers we Treat With Surgical Oncology:
- Head & Neck
- Liver & Pancreatic
- Prostate, Bladder, Testicular & Kidney
- Soft Tissue
- Upper GI
Thoracic Surgery is Used to Treat:
- Airway surgery
- Minimally invasive techniques, including use of the da Vinci robot surgery platform
- Treatment of thoracic malignancies, including lung cancer, esophageal cancer, pulmonary metastasis and mediastinal tumors.
- Diseases of the chest, including but not limited to:
- Birth defects of the chest
- Cancers of the chest wall
- Esophageal cancer
- Lung cancer
- Tumors in the organs contained in the chest cavity
Our surgeons have vast expertise in minimally invasive techniques, including:
- Use of the da Vinci® robotic surgery system
- VATS lobectomy
Trauma Surgery & Critical Care
We define trauma as a life-threatening occurrence, accidental or intentional, that causes injuries. The leading causes of trauma are motor vehicle crashes, falls and assaults. Our skilled surgeons have outstanding training and expertise in caring for patients who’ve suffered trauma. And our team is staffed with a trauma medical director with certification in surgery and critical care, two additional trauma and critical care surgeons, a trauma program
manager, a trauma performance improvement coordinator, a trauma registrar, an administrative coordinator, and a research assistant.
Urogynecology & Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery
The Stamford Health urogynecology surgery team is committed to helping women with disorders that may affect the bladder, the vagina or the rectum. They specialize in minimally invasive surgery for both pelvic floor and benign gynecologic conditions. In addition, our team offers pelvic floor physical therapy and a state of the art diagnostic laboratory for the complete evaluation of complex pelvic floor problems.
Surgery may be useful for the following problems:
- Urinary incontinence
- Overactive bladder
- Fecal incontinence
- Pelvic prolapse
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Interstitial cystitis
- Uterine fibroids
- Ovarian cysts
This type of surgery focuses on diseases of the male and female urinary tract, as well as the male reproductive system.
Our Heart and Vascular Institute has several surgeons who dedicate 100% of their time to the treatment of vascular disease and management of venous disease such as large-vein thrombosis and venous hypertension. Our vascular surgeons have all trained at major university hospitals throughout the country and are currently able to offer an array of minimally invasive endovascular procedures. Our surgeons always use the latest technology available to perform such delicate procedures.
Types of Vascular Surgery We Perform:
- Aortic aneurism repair
- Percutaneous endovascular aortic repair (PEVAR)
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Drug-eluting balloon angioplasty
- Drug-eluting stenting
- Catheter directed atherectomy
- Leg bypass arterial revascularization
- Renal and mesenteric revascularization
- EKOS and AngioJet™ thrombolysis for deep vein thrombosis
- Intravascular ultrasound for venous stenting
- Venacure EVLT, closure and sclerotherapy for varicose veins
- Fistula creation and thrombectomy for hemodialysis access management